Scheme Project Manager
Preston (Potential to work from Penrith)
£33,340 - £36,674
Number of Positions
07 Jun 2017
We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England’s motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It’s an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which why we’re so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy. And with responsibility for major projects, working here is also a great move for your career.
Highways England have 2 brand new sites based in Preston and Penrith, having undergone a recent recruitment drive we are now looking for 2 Scheme Project Managers to join our team. You can be based out of either location.
As a Scheme Project Manager you will be responsible for delivering schemes from AMO handover to construction closeout, ensuring governance, budget control and risk management.
Day to day
- Take accountability for the delivery of schemes, from AMO handover to construction closeout, to time, quality and budget to ensure project control.
- Appointment and day-to-day management of project participants including the Design Services Contract and Construction Works Framework
- Assisting with the preparation of programmes and monitoring and reporting progress. Promotion and contribution to regular collaborative scheme meetings with DSC, CWF and others
- Pro-active management of budget expenditure, resources and scope of works changes throughout the design and construction phases to ensure successful delivery of the scheme.
- Responsible for accuracy of monthly cost and programme updates on schemes.
- Management of scheme risk, assessing impact, agreeing mitigation measures and monthly capital risk reviews to mitigate/minimise disruptions to the project.
- Internal and external liaison with CWF, DSC, residents and other stakeholders.
- Supporting compliance with all health and Safety Legislation, including CDM 2015 regulations – ensuring DSC and CWF fulfil their duties on each and every scheme.
- Contributing to Continuous Improvement and best practice across the collaborative team to maximise scheme efficiencies.
- Supporting the delivery managers and the wider team, as required.
- Ensuring compliance with all processes and procedures, minimising and managing non-conformances.
- Promoting early engagement with AMO, DSC and CWF to optimise scheme delivery.
- Establishing and delivering scheme specific Communication Plans. Responding to HAIL’s and other scheme related matters as and when required
- Assess safety performance to minimise risks, develop improvements and escalate issues with relevant authorities in a timely manner and carry out any tasks identified to the post in the Level 2 and relevant 2a Organisational Health & Safety RACI charts.
- Recognised academic qualification in an Engineering discipline
- Professional Engineering qualification at IEng or CEng level – desirable
- Recognised qualification in Project Management – desirable
- CSCS Accreditation - desirable
- Recognised construction safety qualification (IOSH / SMSTS) - desirable
- Significant previous experience in project management
- Significant previous experience in highway maintenance
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application.
You’re also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
We’re expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible
Help keep England moving. We look forward to hearing from you.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply at recruitment.highways.gov.uk/
Download Full Job Description