£28,644 - £36,674
Number of Positions
30 May 2017
Highways England is the new government company charged with driving forward our motorways and major A roads. Building on the successful 21 year heritage of the Highways Agency, we maintain and enhance the most important communications network in the country, the Strategic Roads Network. A network valued at just over £104 billion, which carries approximately one-third of all road traffic in England and nearly two-thirds of all heavy freight traffic.
We are responsible for modernising and maintaining the highways, running the network and keeping traffic moving. Over recent years investment in our highways has increased. This has led to advances in technology, such as smart motorways; enabling traffic to flow better. However even more is planned to be done.
Our vision is to be the world’s leading road operator which means that we need to become a high performing organisation. It's an exciting time to start a Highways England career. With £11 billion to invest in major road improvements over the next 5 years, there’s an opportunity for you to be part of something special.
For further information on Highways England, please visit our website: http://www.highways.gov.uk/highways-england/
Due to continued growth Highways England are currently recruiting for 9 experienced Site Supervisors to join their existing team. As a Site Supervisor your main repsonsibility will be to actively supervise the construction process on Construction Works Framework (CWF) and developer schemes.
- Set personal example in Health, Safety and Environmental matters by ensuring compliance with Highways England and Principle Contractors policies and procedures
- Monitor scheme Health, Safety and Environmental Management against the contractor’s Health, Safety and Environmental Plan (HASEMP) and site rules
- Be fully aware of the construction plan and process contained within the Quality Management System (QMS) and ensure all activities are carried out in accordance with all the relevant sub-processes
- Ensure all works are undertaken with due regard to the needs of the local population within the immediate vicinity of the works and the travelling public as a whole
- Administer Contract used to procure Principal Contractor and Contractor(s)
- Record safety and quality non-compliances
- Ensure compliance with technical standards and all relevant legislation
- Monitor use of risk assessments and method statements
- Maintain good working relationship with colleagues and the contractor(s)
- Interdepartmental liaison, guidance and reporting on schemes
- Record traffic management, including changes and traffic queues and report issues
- Ensure that the accommodation and equipment provided by the Principal Contractor is suitable and sufficient
- Undertake Joint Safety Tours
- Monitor technical compliance with Highways England standards, scheme specification and design
- Monitor progress against scheme programmes and report any potential issues
- Ensure all records for measurement and payment purposes are prepared promptly, in appropriate form
- Keep line management apprised of potential problems and opportunities
- Ensure all “as constructed” records are provided for inclusion within the Health and Safety File in a timely manner following scheme completion
- Willing to work flexible hours including night shifts when required
- Carry out other relevant duties as required
- Assess safety performance to minimise risks, develop improvements and escalate issues with relevant authorities in a timely manner and carry out any tasks identified to the post in the Level 2 and relevant 2a Organisational Health & Safety RACI charts
- Contribute to continuous improvements by highlighting any potential improvements and efficiency opportunities on site and work with colleagues and the contractors to implement and report them.
You will have:
- A recognised Civil Engineering Qualification (desirable)
- Degree in Civil Engineering (desirable)
- An Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) or Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) ( essential)
- An incorporated or Chartered status (desirable)
- The Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) – Gold / Black cards(Essential)
- First Aid at Work (Desirable)
- Valid Driving Licence (Essential)
Previous experience and attributes:
- Experienced NEC Supervisor
- Experience in in managing Highways Construction & Maintenance
- Experience in managing Structures Construction & Maintenance
- Experience in Technology Upgrades within the Highways industry
- Experience of working within projects and meeting prescribed timescales
- Understanding of Engineering Principles and priorities
- Experience of producing detailed and accurate records on MS Word
- Awareness of the commercial impacts of contracts / schemes
- IT literate, with ability to use MS Word, Excel, Project and Outlook
- Detailed understanding and experience in the construction industry
- Examples of having been part of or led on improvements on construction sites.
All applications must be accompanied with a current CV which will be used to assess your suitability for the role. Please ensure all the skills, experience and qualifications requested are clearly demonstrated in your CV as explained in the body of the advert.
All applicants must have a valid passport and right to work in the UK which will need to be produced at interview stage.
Please note that Highways England reserve the right to close the advert before the advertised closing date should a sufficient response have been received. Therefore, please complete your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Download Full Job Description